Festive Frankfurt Crown CakeApprox. 45 min. baking + 60 min. decorating + 60 min. coolingpracticed
What you need: Frankfurt Crown Cake tin, 2 round cutters of various sizes, 4 tealights, Decocino baking spray
IngredientsSend shopping list by e-mail
For the batter
- 250 g soft butter
- 230 g sugar
- 3 tbsp. Decocino orange flavouring paste
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 eggs
- 230 g flour
- 3 tbsp. baking powder
- 50 ml milk
For the filling
- Decocino buttercream
- 300 g soft butter
- 2 tbsp. Decocino orange flavouring paste
- 200 g rosehip conserve
For the decoration
- 2 x Decocino sheets of white rolling fondant
- Decocino red fondant
- Decocino green fondant
- Decocino gold fondant
- Decocino Gold Stars
- Leftover cake (or make a sponge cake base)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C with upper and lower heat (For a fan oven: 160°C). Beat the butter with the sugar, orange flavouring paste and salt to form a creamy mixture. Fold in the eggs one at a time. Blend the flour with the baking powder and fold into the batter in alternation with the milk.
- Spoon the batter into the tin and smooth it down. Bake the cake on the lowest rack of your oven for about 45 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Prepare the buttercream according to packet instructions, then add the orange flavouring paste.
- Loosen the cake from the tin and carefully make three horizontal cuts through it to make four layers. Glaze the three lower layers with conserve.
- Spread about a quarter of the buttercream on the lowest layer using a palette knife. Repeat this process with the 2nd and 3rd layers, then press them all lightly together.
- Place the last layer on top. Glaze the outside with the remaining cream.
- Leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes until it is firm.
- Roll out the fondant and cut into strips, each being about 8 cm wide.
- Wrap the strips around the cake one at a time.
- Cut out shapes from the cake remains to stick the candles on. Depending on the height of the candles, you may need to put one cut-out shape on top of the other. Spread buttercream or conserve around the outside of each candle. Gently press the cracknel around the edges of the candles.
- Finish by decorating your Crown Cake to suit your own personal preferences. For example, you could use Decocino gold stars and fondant ribbons.